Thoughts on Stadia

Gamer 1

Jun 16, 2019
I think the Stadia announcement timing was ok but I'm not convinced by the availability on existing Chromecast as the only option for tv.

New consoles ps5 / xbox2 won't be available until 2020. Stadia itself won't be available till the end of this year (at best).

In my opinion Google would rather start developing a new chromecast revision, no need for new models, just to add features to existing ones (remember the xbox one gamepad that weren't compatible with pc in first revisions).

Why a new revision?

-AV1 support.

-Low latency Bluetooth or similar technology.

I'm really surprised that Chromecast v3 they released back in October 2018 doesn't support vp9 or hevc.

Google has the resources to develop / enhance the new AV1 codec, develop a low latency hardware encoder, work with its partner (amd / intel) to produce a custom solution, hw chip.

H264 needs a lot of bandwidth for medium quality.
Hevc is not free.

Also, not being able to connect the gamepad directly with the chromecast looks like an issue for me. They say that connecting the gamepad directly to the router's wifi will avoid latency but let's say you connect your chromecast with the ethernet adapter, it's maybe because:

-You have no wifi.

-Your wifi connection is far away.

-You use plc adapters.

Wifi is always a source of framedrops and Chromecast v3 feature ethernet adapter as an optional accessory only.

CoolStadia

Apr 23, 2019
Or an old laptop with hdmi. Maybe they would also introduce spme smart tv apps or an app for apple tv since it is not much more than just streaming video from internet. Hell i even think it would be possible with a raspberry pi.

Gamer 1

Jun 16, 2019
Recent consoles have input lag at or above 100ms, see this

And you have to add tv latency (+considering most people don't even enable 'game' mode).