Stadia Retro Games

Google Stadia

Apr 22, 2019
While I know it will be unlikely for this to happen, which I will go over, I believe that Stadia could see great success with retro games, to add to the number of games in its platform, and will make retro games more popular, especially more obscure titles.

On Linux, the platform Stadia servers will run on, there are plenty of open-source emulators that would be easy to port to the specialized Stadia hardware. And, while they may not be able to license many first party games from devs with Xbox, Nintendo, etc., they may be able to license from the companies that made many other, great games.

As of right now, it is likely that Stadia will not see a great launch game lineup, however, if they have these retro games, it could help fill this void. In addition to this, it has been proven in court that emulators are legal, however, piracy with them is not. Using this method, Google would be staying on the law, and not have to develop much of anything new.

While this seems like a great plan, which I believe it is, there are two main drawbacks. Firstly, Google, while in direct competition with companies like Sony and Nintendo, do not want to provoke them into major competition, which could happen if Stadia directly emulated games on their consoles. Another reason that this may not work, is that first party games are perhaps the most popular retro games, and without them, it would not have the games that people want to play, for the most part.

Coatsink22

Jun 22, 2019
Convenience.

I already use emulators on my PC/wii/XBox but I can still see a selling point for a subscription services to have 1000s of such games already curated and setup for me. More likely to try out old games I missed rather than sticking to what I remember playing before.

Thankfully Ian Livingstone (Fighting Fantasy, Games Workshop, Eidos) has me covered:

Coatsink22

Jun 22, 2019
Right, though many people are not that savvy, and feel that piracy is morally wrong, preventing this.

Gamer 1

Jun 16, 2019
I mean Stadia would essentially just be acting as an emulator at that point. And who is to say there would be a subscription fee?

I could totally see Google subsidizing the cost to Port some older, popular games over to Stadia just to beef up the library and then offer the game for free to help build a user base.