Stadia changes everything for developers

c4cyber

May 1, 2019
Indie dev perspective - Stadia changes everything and makes me want to try just "one more time" to make a great game I used to make a video game/movie thing and I worked hard up until last year's GDC but frankly, just gave up.

I have ALOT of success at failure. Sometimes to get difficult, monumental tasks to completion takes perseverance and innovation. But sometimes you have to realize when to STOP. When, as much as you want it to work, it just does not.
That's where I was with Unity last year. Had a decent demo, single-player posted and some interest but ran into the dreaded "works in the editor but not when compiled". And it was a crappy exit menu pop-up issue that I could not resolve. I felt it was time to step away; do something different. So I changed focus and did some busking/metro music (which I love and make some dollars...) so it's cool...Busking is to me very similar to building a video game; extreme creativity in action. Now I am at the top of my game on that and bored again...
Then by accident/boredom I watched the launch of Statia I thought: "Hmmm..maybe it's time again; maybe the tech is ready"
I thought maybe could, almost, maybe work; especially for me. Solve many of my problems; save me time and focus on the game.
From my (limited) experience there are tons of reasons why it could work for me:
* OK, you produced a playable game and it's posted somewhere. How do players get the latest version?
No need for updaters, no version conflicts. And guess what, no Microsoft "safe screen" popup. You would have to be nuts (or the developer) to open the file. This goes away. Whatever is on the server is what they are playing. Getting this to work was a total time-sucker...
* No need to spend money on pirate protection. Again, it's on the server, no access to compiled file. Super infuriating to imagine the moment you publish a game someone is using tools to rip it and see how you did it, steal your assets or simply rebrand.. aaaaaaahhh. Or no need to hash player prefs so they can't fool with the stats.
* Assuming there will be some big table data scheme to write player stats. No third party backend required.
* What's the player networking setup. Assuming there is something in the box for that. No third party backend and probably lightning fast.
* Integration with YouTube. I am partner so potentially get paid for views. This could maybe work, I tried twitch and it just seemed like a desert and YT had better steaming/compression
* AMD chips for rendering. Call me insane but games look "brighter" on AMD. The blue is not soo blue as on IBM chips, colors are interpreted differently between chip sets so I like this, don't have to change lighting to compensate.
* Click on the link and start playing immediately. Awesome.
* Less need to make many copies of same game for different platforms/stores. This was not complicated but long and arduous; another time sucker. No need to get "greenlit" and pay some huge fees or lost on some list. Just send them the link.. nice.
* Probably some adsense $$ along the way...
* How much is the hosting going to cost? This is a serious question; sounds expensive; or not; getting rid of all these third party guys who have built business' around all this will be different.
* No limits. 1024 maps, high res, open world, no problem. Awesome.
* Different devices. There is a reason there was a cheer in GDC when the game when from PC in chrome to a smartphone like butter. Wow. Developing for mobile for me would be like etching on pinheads. Never. Now, no problem, no limits. Love that.
So I am restarting development; tinker with that for a bit, see how it goes... it fun and I enjoy it anyway.
So tl;dr amazing opportunity for indie developers if it all works out.