Sorry if I’m a bit out of the loop on this one, but why is Destiny 2 not Free-To-Play on Stadia?

Bungie

Jun 22, 2019
I purchased Stadia Founder’s Edition, played it a bit and kind of forgot about it for a while and then proceeded to cancel my pro subscription. But I went on yesterday to play Destiny 2 and it doesn’t seem to be available whatsoever? I see Forsaken and Shadowkeep in the store. Do I really need to purchase one of the expansions to play Destiny 2 on Stadia if I don’t have Stadia Pro?

Jun 22, 2019
I don't think this is a 'for the time being' kind of situation. F2P games on Stadia are unlikely, as they would be renting out hardware for free. I doubt to ever see F2P for Base.

To be fair, games likes Fortnite would make an absolute boatload of money, so that could probably work. But then Google would have to decide which games can be free to play and which can't, which doesn't seem like it will give them a good image.

Destiny

Jun 22, 2019
and this actually sounds reasonable to me. it doesn't seem fair to be able to rent hardware in the cloud for free and play a free game. this way the develoepr gets paid and stadia gets its cut. The only other possible way this could have worked is if they implemented ads and that would have been way way worse. i'm ok with this decision.

Wolfenstein

Jun 22, 2019
things aren't always paid for upfront. You want a base user playing a f2p game because he's more likely to buy an expansion and also buy something else. How many base players would play new light ONLY and no other game or expansion in destiny 2? I doubt very many.

Coatsink22

Jun 22, 2019
sad. i think one of its biggest strengths would to allowa community to just 'jump in'

instantly a community could go from 1 streamer to 1 million. then all of them bringing micro transactions. Some would play for free- some wouldnt. it would also expose the stadia experience to the masses in a positive way.