Phil Harrison: Free Stadia arriving within "months"

stadiagames

Jun 16, 2019

"The big strategic difference is that over the next few months you will be able to experience Stadia for free," Harrison said.

EDIT: According to the article, the quote is from an interview with Phil.

Google Stadia

Apr 22, 2019
I don't think it's going to end up having queuing, but I do think it'll be a staged release. If I had to guess, they will do a slow rollout waitlist style with a few thousand interested participants getting access in batches. There will be plenty of people who will give it a try once, especially if it releases with free demos which I can only imagine it will, and then won't really keep going, so if they opened up to a free-for-all they would see a tremendous spike on day one that immediately falls away to a more natural upward slope and that could cause real technical issues on day one.

with a staged rollout, you do end up with these little spikes as 5,000 people start playing and then 4,000 people drop off, another 5,000 people start playing and then another 4,000 people drop off, etc that is a little bit more manageable for them to control.

Jun 22, 2019
I honestly wonder how Stadia will handle Destiny 2. For all I understood, it went Free To Play a while ago. I guess latest by Stadia Base arrival, we therefor will know how it’s handled. Although I have to believe you can just play F2P titles even with base.

Gamer 1

Jun 16, 2019
[Stadia will be in the next version of Android TV](https://www.xda-developers.com/stadia-android-tv-android-11-r/).

Destiny

Jun 22, 2019
It is coming to Android TV. But what is important is for Google to get it right.

We have a Shield and GFN is not playable. Too much lag to have a decent UX.

Where you do not have the same with the Ultra CC and Stadia.

BTW, I do NOT want this comment to reflect poorly on the Shield. It is easily the best streaming device we have owned. I highly recommend and easily the best YT TV streaming device.

The issue is not the Shield, IMO, but it is GFN. It is too bad that GFN reflects poorly on the Shield.