Microsoft's Phil Spencer bets on physical game consoles for the next 10+ years

Google Stadia

Apr 22, 2019
"One major topic centred around whether he thinks the industry will move from console wars to cloud wars in the future. "I hope not," was his immediate reply. "I think I'm going to have a game console plugged into my television for the next decade plus," he added. "I think the best way for me to play on my television is going to be having a device that downloads the games I want to play,....Spencer thinks you'll have many game-playing machines under your TV and across multiple rooms going forward."

Seems as if Microsoft's view of cloud gaming going forward is to stream from your Xbox at home as well as cloud emulation of Xbox consoles(xcloud). Are they restricting the ability for their platform to grow? Anyone else think that this is not a wise move for their gaming division now that Stadia/Geforce Now has proven a cloud platform for gaming is viable?

CoolStadia

Apr 23, 2019
In my opinion this only means that they are not there yet. Google has accomplished something invaluable with Stadia, bringing AAA games to your main screen without a box in the state we have seen and played. Considering his recent statement that their main competitors moving forward are Google and Amazon and now this... Well, you can't expand this market much further if you need to push a USD 500+ purchase, let alone bring gaming to 7 billion potential customers. xCloud is not there yet. MS will do what it has been doing successfully this last generation: they'll offer a variety of cost-effective services, ways to facilitate that purchase etc. In regards to streaming, they may affirm that Google is a main competitor, but I'm not sure they are even ready to compete.

Coatsink22

Jun 22, 2019
Don’t think it’s the Blockbuster method considering they’re also making XCloud. If consoles suddenly die out they’re situated to pivot. Blockbuster wasn’t and straight up turned down options for them to enter the streaming space.

Coatsink

Jun 22, 2019
I don't have a single DVD ... Neither do I have anything in my house that would be able to read one...
I guess I am not one of those people

Wolfenstein

Jun 22, 2019
I think it's curious that people think owning a physical copy of a game means anything when the manufacturer can always cut you off from necessary updates to play the game.

stadiagames

Jun 16, 2019
About the slow transition part: Stadia is only 3 months old and there are already two competitor attempts, lots of games, and deals with mobile carriers and ISPs.

stadiagames

Jun 16, 2019
Agreed. I've been keeping an eye on possible competitors because competition is healthy for the consumer