Is Google Stadia the end of video game piracy?

Destiny

Jun 22, 2019
Assuming this actually becomes a huge thing, do you think it would be the final nail in the coffin for us? I mean, if it gets huge enough, developers will have to use it if they want profit, meaning there's a potential future in which the consumer doesn't own any games at all.

Wolfenstein

Jun 22, 2019
They don't? History has proven time and time again, that they don't care. Look at Spotify, Netflix, etc.

Assuming the service is as good as they say it is, there'd be no reason for consumers to not use it. And if consumers are using it instead of traditional consoles, developers will eventually exclusively release for it.

stadiagames

Jun 16, 2019
around 30 million people in the US can't get broadband service other than satellite which is horrid for gaming. Someone needs to force the isp's to provide the same service to every household, tax them at 75% of profits until they prove construction is underway.

Coatsink22

Jun 22, 2019
They specifically said this service will be available around the globe given you live relatively close to a compatible server and have a good internet connection. They even showed a coverage world map in the keynote.

Coatsink22

Jun 22, 2019
Yeah. I've been hearing that shit for 30 years and it's easier now to get pirated games than it's ever been. Some games take a little longer to crack but that's balanced out when you consider that years ago only the top games got cracks on or near release and lesser-known games sometimes took months to appear anyways.

Coatsink22

Jun 22, 2019
I mean yeah, but I always thought the general consensus on pirating indie games was that it's generally a shitty thing to do

Google Stadia

Apr 22, 2019
assuming it works as good as they say it does

It cannot. There are hard limits to available bandwidth of the web over fibre channel, and with 8K right around the corner you've got a hard road block for anyone looking to do high end anything. Fibre just doesn't scale that well to 8, 16, or 32K resolutions.

The latency is also a tremendous roadblock for which no solution exists. It's also an immediate hard stop for any kind of VR projects, because the latency is nausea-inducing.

Google Stadia

Apr 22, 2019
Didn't have Google's money or Infrastructure , I'm not saying it will be a success and I'm not hugely optimistic that Google will see it through given their track record but I think this may actually be the start of mainline streaming games.
Just remember streaming 4k movies seemed like a pipedream a couple of years ago.