How does google keep enough horsepower available to all of us to play.....

Jun 22, 2019
Love the service and a believer in stadia....

So I tried searching here and on google also but couldn't find an detailed explanation on how all of this works.

So I believe stadia allots a rack to each individual who starts a game and blocks it to them till they play.

I also get it they have the statistics of how much people play at a given time and all and thus have the corresponding number of racks available.

But what I dont understand is how they keep on with demand?

First of all this is totally different than previous console stats as people can play anywhere and everywhere.

Second do they manually add racks as the new subscribers are added? This becomes a huge question as they release the base version. This is not YouTube where your main resource is storage...

Third if they allot each rack to one subscriber while they are playing then how do they profit from it? Are game sales that much profitable?

TLDR :- what is the racks to user ratio they might be maintaining to keep they service flawless as is it right now.

Gamer 1

Jun 16, 2019
I don't have anything to prove but I believe Stadia is not using VMs but it's using what is something less resource intensive called container.

VM provides an abstract machine that uses device drivers targeting the abstract machine, while a container provides an abstract OS. Applications running in a container share an underlying
operating system.

Multiple containers can be on same machine. For example , if one VM has specs of 16 GB memory & 8 GB of video memory . Also, If single game needs 2 GB memory and 1 GB of video memory. A container manager will create 8 containers in same machine and serve 8 Stadia customers simultaneously. That is the beauty of having processing in cloud.

Jun 22, 2019
Got it I also assumed that there must be more than 1 user per rack as it's a server rack like you said... But still how do they keep up with the user to vm ratio obviously they don't have extra racks lying around to add as the demand grows....

I understand its similar to AWS in the very basic way but it's extremely specific and more powerful than that if i understand it right...

Destiny

Jun 22, 2019
The servers are geographically local to the players so there must be definite peak and quiet times in each data centre, but I'm sure Google found something useful to keep them busy when all the Stadia players are asleep. Mining bitcoins perhaps 😆