Do you think Stadia will have to invest in new hardware this year due the new incoming next gen consoles?

stadiagames

Jun 16, 2019
With the surprising announcement of Xbox X series in which we have been informed that the console will have 12 teraflops vs 10.7 of Stadia, do you think it is vital that this year Stadia renew its hardware?

I think that if Google doesn't soon invest in new hardware, the new generation will crush Stadia.

Stadia right now is in a vital point to make their product a great success or a big failure.

Also this is my opinion and speculation and maybe Im' wgrong, but I think when Google chose the hardware they were right and was a powerful hardware for these days, but they have taken so long to launch Stadia, and I think their platform has come out with half-obsolete hardware due to the new generation.

This hypothesis makes me think that Google rushed to launch early stadia since they knew that if they delayed their launch for half a year, the hardware they had invested would no longer be useful due the next gen. I think they rushed Stadia to make the cost of hardware profitable before having to update it.

What do you think guys? Share your opinions.

CoolStadia

Apr 23, 2019
Agreed. The 200 millions console users will continue to play on consoles and the rest will play on Stadia

stadiagames

Jun 16, 2019
This. Google is going to have to add additional hardware anyways to support a growing player base. Some of that additional hardware can be newer/more powerful to run the next gen games that need it. Current games will continue to run on the hardware its already running on.

Bungie

Jun 22, 2019
Not going to happen. Stadia is not going to be upgraded yearly. That's so much work, and every time you upgrade you risk the games breaking. Have you never gamed on pc before? Any time you upgrade games need more and more patches or work arounds.

You can't expect devs to constantly come back and fix old games to run on new hardware. On pc you can rely on modders to create updates, but you can't do that on stadia.

Consistency is very important, even games on base ps4 sometimes played worse when the pro came out. Same with the Xbox one 1 some games looked worse because the game wasn't made for it.

Google will not upgrade their servers as much as you think they will.

Jun 22, 2019
The rush is because *today* Stadia is behind consoles that came out a couple of years ago (despite us being told it would be far more powerful than those consoles). In a year, Stadia will be even further behind once the new Xbox and Playstation are out. Stadia's graphics and performance are lagging far behind the competition and it's only going to get worse.

Gamer 1

Jun 16, 2019
The first GDC announcement pretty much tells us they plan periodic upgrades to the platform. They aim to support 8K gaming in the future.

Google Stadia

Apr 22, 2019
Only CPU-wise. Considering graphical Performance, it does get outperformed in a lot of games already by XBox One X.

Not bashing Stadia, love it, just stating facts.

Bungie

Jun 22, 2019
Teraflops alone are nothing.

Good point. A Google TPU for example offers over 100 petaflops. Or over 100 quadrillion floating point operations a second.

But Google does NOT use TPUs for graphics with Stadia.

Coatsink

Jun 22, 2019
I know that sooner or later they will, but what worries me is when.

I really like the concept of Stadia and I'm worried that at the marketing level it will fail and we will have to go back to the times of buying a console every 3 years.

It is not the first time that good products have been forgotten by a bad marketing campaign and products inferior to these become popular.

The reason I comment on this is because right now Stadia needs good marketing that triggers its sales. The news of the new xbox causes Stadia to lose commercial interest in future buyers.

Right now, what would make Stadia win an incredible interest for future buyers is Google saying that they will match hardware to Xbox and for only 10 per month you will have the same or more as the new XBOX (which surely costs more than $ 800) and the advantages of cloud games.