Digital Foundry's Doom Eternal analysis

stadiagames

Jun 16, 2019

Have to agree with this one. I personally refunded the game due to input lag. But the game looks amazing and fps was spot on!

Gamer 1

Jun 16, 2019
Plenty of people were complaining about the input lag when the game first came out. People were fiddling around with settings trying to get a playable experience.

Destiny

Jun 22, 2019
It’s concerning when you consider that DE was not only treated like a flagship title for the service, but even uses Vulkan - and yet still can’t quite manage the settings of a current generation console with an ancient CPU and 6TF GPU.

DOOM Eternal

Jun 22, 2019
Source on 6 years? Google said stadia was conceived a little over 7 years ago. I highly doubt they had a dev kit ready that quickly.

Coatsink22

Jun 22, 2019
Not surprised at all, personally. Every other game on Stadia looks worse than One X - you can't beat physics (see also: Google claiming that Stadia overcomes the speed of light, and Stadia has AI that plays the game before you touch the joystick)

Wolfenstein

Jun 22, 2019
It depends on your level of tolerance tbh. People who has played a lot of FPS natively on PC or consoles will definitely find the lag hugely noticeable and borderline unplayable.

Google Stadia

Apr 22, 2019
You are going to experience lag during streaming no matter what, the fact that its there does not mean the game is unplayable. Most of the time you just get used to it, I am wiling to bet that people who have been playing mostly Stadia do not notice the lag as much as people who come over from other platforms as PC/console players do.

For reviewers and hardcore gamers who have better options to play but jump over to review Stadia they are obviously going to notice the "lag" and report on it. The real question is the game still fun and is it playable with lag or is it not?

Coatsink22

Jun 22, 2019
I believe in the video they say it was adding between 75-100ms of latency on top of the latency the console versions have, for a total of nearly a fifth of a second at times.

DOOM Eternal

Jun 22, 2019
So I personally played Doom Eternal on the CCU and I could not get used to the input lag at all. I'm usually playing shooters on PC (or PS4) with a PS4 controller and have been for a few years now. So maybe I just notice it more? But it did make it unplayable for me, after trying for about an hour. Which is sad, because the game itself got me hooked!

Though The Division 2 runs perfectly! Can't feel a significant delay there, but of course it's a bit more slow paced.

I can't comment on the he matchmaking, I have only played it solo so far

Wolfenstein

Jun 22, 2019
I keep reading these reports of input lag etc. But I honestly don't notice it at all. I'm not a die hard gamer, I only get limited time to play these days, but I have played games for years

It's like being told my car has 200 horsepower so therefore I shouldn't enjoy driving my car because some exist with 300 hp...but I know what I personally deem acceptable and enjoy

A better analogy would be like comparing a Corvette and a Porsche 911. A normal person would say that they both handle well where as a car enthusiast would say that yes they both handle well but they are a night and day difference in terms of how they feel and will definitely prefer one over the other.

I am guessing it is a similar thing with casual versus more serious gamers. A casual gamer thinks it feels fine since they can point and shoot and be on their way. While the die hard gamer with the twitchy reflexes jumping all over the place lining up in the in air headshots across the map is going to be the one noticing and taking issue with the input lag. That's how Destiny 2 on Stadia was among my friends group. We all couldn't agree on if input lag was a problem. So we all went over to our friend's house with the best internet and played on a wired CCU with controller so we had a baseline. The four of us took turns and we all had differing opinions on how it felt even though we all used the same internet, CCU, and TV. Anecdotal but that's my experience. The effect of input lag seems subjective based on a person's playstyle.

Wolfenstein

Jun 22, 2019
I've played a good chunk through doom eternal and am having a blast with it. They might be further from the server than me or they are more sensitive to input latency. I can't even tell there is any latency....