TheGamer: Are Google Stadia and Microsoft xCloud The Future of Gaming?

Jun 22, 2019
PSNow has PS3 games that require Playstation hardware. I have a PC but I don't have a PS3 or PS4 controller.

On PC it requires a program to be installed. Let's be honest, no matter how easy that is, the average person isn't going to go out of their way to do that.

On the other hand, Stadia runs in Chrome, the most popular browser in the world and can use kb/m or any controller.

Bungie

Jun 22, 2019
This is an open question for sure. I tend to believe that this generation was actually the "last generation". Sony has essentially announced that all PS4 games are compatible with the PS5, and that at least immeditely after launch PS5 games will work on the PS4. Its even more likely that Microsoft's position will be similar given their push toward Xbox on PC and their lagging market position.

Additionally, it appears that both Sony and Microsoft are taking the position that at least their initial their next-gen console will be very prosumer focused. Probably around that $500 price point, for hardcore gamers. So that game backward-compatibility will be very important initially.

Nintendo will obviously do whatever Nintendo wants to do, but the situation on the other consoles is looking more and more like PC; sure, eventually games will be released that will only work on the PS5/Scarlett, but it'll probably take a few years, and it'll just be because your last-gen console doesn't have the horsepower to push the experience the developer wants to deliver. Then combine that with cloud streaming (which won't have "generations" and can't really even be placed into any pre-existing generation because there's no hardware), and it really feels like console generations are already dead.