Personal experience with Google Stadia (Tested via Ethernet and Wifi, PC and Chromecast and at 3 different internet speeds).

Coatsink

Jun 22, 2019
After seeing that most of the reviews for stadia were done on internet speeds that are much higher than the average consumer. I thought it would be interesting to compare the server on different and more realistic internet speeds.

EDIT: to be clear, I used the Stadia controller for all these tests.

**TL:DR at the bottom.**

So these are the locations I tested:

* At my house, which has a 70 mbit connection.
* My university, which has a 200 mbit connection.
* Friends house, which has a 30 mbit connection.

I tested 2 games, AC odyssey and Thumper. One game that doesn't suffer under latency, one game that suffers a lot with latency.

To start, my house. First I tested using the CCU that's connected via ethernet. For both AC and Thumper, the image quality and framerate were outstanding. The games ran very well and in 5 hours of AC I didn't have a single moment of blur or frame drops.
The latency side of things is slightly less positive, in Thumper I noticed a slight delay. Because it is a rhythm game, it was still easily playable. But in a game like Mortal Kombat, I could see it being a bigger issue. I didn't really notice any delay in AC, but that game barely suffers from delay so it's not that important.

Then I switched to my pc, still at home, which is connected via wifi. As soon as I started up AC I noticed the quality was pretty bad. The game looked blurry and frame rate was dropping a lot. I then switched to the 720p option. After this the game ran much better, there were still some moments where it looked blurry. But this is probably due to the fact that I used wifi, which obviously isn't as stable as ethernet. As for Thumper, game ran perfect at the highest setting. As should be expected from this game. For latency it was better than my experience with the CCU. Once I turned down the settings, I didn't notice any delay in AC. In Thumper I couldn't see the delay while playing. Only after looking back at the video I made in slowmo I noticed some slight delay. But as said it was not a hindrance during gameplay.

The next test was at my university playing on my laptop. The university has an outstanding connection, which is to be expected from a uni. Quality wise the graphics were basically the same as on the CCU. There were a few occasions of blur, but that's probably due to the fact that i was in a room with 20 others all using their PC on the same connection. For latency it was the same as on my pc at home, which makes sense as I used the wired Stadia controller on both, Overall this was my best playing experience. Not a surprise as it was the best network i played on.

This last test is probably the most interesting one. My friend doesn't have the best internet connection, 30 mbps, so this would be one of the harder tests for stadia. We tested using the CCU, hooked up via ethernet. The stadia app recognized that the connection wasn't ideal, and thus already recommended the medium quality. The graphics experience was pretty mixed. For a few hours the quality was very stable at 720p. But after that there were instances of blur (about every 2 minutes). The latency was the same as on my CCU at home.

After my first week with stadia i'm pretty content with it. For a game like AC Odyssey its an amazing service, as long as you can run it on the highest setting. On the other side I would not play games that heavily rely on latency on stadia. Playing on pc using the controller wired is pretty playable. But not as good as the pc. Playing via the CCU is just a bad option for a game that needs low latency.

I hope you enjoyed this review of stadia, and then it gave you a different perspective on the server.

**TL:DR**

* 70 mbit,CCU,Ether: Graphics=Excellent, Latency=bad.
* 70 mbit,PC,Wifi: Graphics=decent, Latency=good.
* 200 mbit,PC,Wifi: Graphics=Excellent, Latency=good.
* 30 mbit,CCU,Ether: Graphics=mediocre, Latency=good.

Destiny

Jun 22, 2019
That is the pro subscription yes, it is comparable to Playstation plus and Xbox live. Just like on those 2 subs, you get some free games and discount in the store.

For now that's the only option, sometimes next year they will be releasing a free version that allows playing up to 1080p/60fps.

Gamer 1

Jun 16, 2019
I travel a lot as well, which is Stadia's biggest selling point for me. So far, it's been solid, no matter where I've connected.

Wolfenstein

Jun 22, 2019
Cool! This was also one of the applications that seemed interesting to me. Obviously not everyone has access to unlimited mobile internet, but some Hotel internet is also sufficient to play.

Bungie

Jun 22, 2019
Don't get me wrong this is awesome but my biggest issue is when they claim it is good for traveling. Unless you have unlimited high-speed data with no soft caps slow downs or what not then you would be at the mercy of whatever wifi you could find. I mean maybe when 5g hits but then once again data caps on cell data will ruin it.

Wolfenstein

Jun 22, 2019
Depends on what your definition for 'cream of the crop' is.

In the Netherlands, 70 mbit is lower than the average and we have no data caps. So an average user here would have a good time.

After some googling I found that the USA's average speed is about 85 mbit, but Data caps are obviously an issue. So it really depends on the size of the cap.

But for people under 30 mbit and with data caps, this is definitely not a good product to buy.

DOOM Eternal

Jun 22, 2019
I've been playing Stadia on a variety of connections (from fiber to basic internet, all in America) and I've had a solid experience no matter where I've connected. One caveat is that I've only been playing Red Dead Redemption 2, so I have not tried rhythm, fighting or online games as much. But honestly, it works well enough that I sometimes forget I'm not playing on a console.

Google Stadia

Apr 22, 2019
The average American internet speed was [93.98 Mbps as of 2018.](https://www.ncta.com/whats-new/average-us-internet-speeds-more-double-global-average) That is faster than OP's home connection and certainly enough bandwidth for the 4K option. You can ping Google's servers to determine latency, for me in southern California it's about 20ms, and shouldn't be more than about 50ms really anywhere in the country. Data caps are the only x factor really, but it's safe to say that if you have a data cap of the typical ~1TB you probably won't be able to play at 4K every day for 8 hours. For the average consumer who doesn't already own a console or gaming PC, I can't imagine that would really be much of an issue.

Gamer 1

Jun 16, 2019
if 70 mbit and no data caps is cream of the crop, then you probably shouldnt have expected stadia to be useful to you.

stadiagames

Jun 16, 2019
Theres nothing wrong with more competition but xCloud runs at only 720p, only has support for mobile devices and isn't a platform unlike Stadia. xCloud will always have latency for multiplayer games if it interacts with regular xbox live users at their home vs Stadia won't.

Wolfenstein

Jun 22, 2019
XCloud is mobile device only, which is a pretty massive difference regardless how well either service works.

Google Stadia

Apr 22, 2019
The difference is that Stadia is a more powerful and more advanced version of xcloud that has some latency advantages because of its architecture (eg. controller connecting directly to wifi).

They are ahead of xcloud in terms of quality, but do not have as many old games to play.

Gamer 1

Jun 16, 2019
Well, if the beat is consistent, you can probably adjust your timing pretty reasonably. It hurts your reaction time of course, though.