Having played Google Stadia for 5 hours today I can say that it simply works.

stadiagames

Jun 16, 2019
Setup:

FIOS Gigabit (no data cap)

2 - CAT6 wired Chrome Cast Ultra

1 - Dell XPS 9380 Laptop 4K Display

Location - Outside Baltimore

Initial thoughts:

First, setup was a breeze. Plug in your new Chrome Cast Ultra and utilize google home app to set it up. Then, utilize Stadia app to activate controller. That’s all. You’re ready to play in less than 3 minutes.

Second, buying a game and launching it immediately is amazing. Being able to seamlessly transition from room to room and room to laptop is definitely a game changer.

Third, not all games are equal. Metro Exodus needs some definite optimization (runs 30 fps) for the platform and I experienced a game breaking bug within 5 minutes of the game. However, Destiny ran like a dream but appeared to be using some sort of input acceleration that made aiming tricky. It’s definitely not latency because other games I have played do not have the issue.

Latency:

I will state definitively that I have yet to experience any meaningful input latency whatsoever. I was not able to experience any difference between stadia and a console game in terms of input latency. I can 100% attest that the Washington Post’s video is not anywhere indicative of anything I experienced.

Graphics/Misc:

The graphics are good, it’s not the best graphical fidelity on the market. I’d put it above console and below PC. However, PC is substantively more expensive. Additionally, you do not have to use the Chrome Cast Ultra that comes in the FE. Just opt into developer builds on your existing one. Works just fine.

Closing Thoughts:

I was skeptical of Stadia before today however, I am now fully on board. This service is in its infancy and just blew me away. I can not imagine what it will be this time next year. I understand everyone’s frustration with logistical issues, but being a veteran of multiple service/hardware launches, this is nothing but par for the course and was to be expected frankly.

TLDR: Stadia is amazing.

DOOM Eternal

Jun 22, 2019
I noticed the compression on my laptop using 5Ghz WiFi. Not so much on wired. Glad you’re enjoying it!

Coatsink

Jun 22, 2019
As a person that sold my OG PS4 to buy a Stadia, I am happy to hear this. Eventually I will find a new home on PC, but the PS4 was feeling dated.

Coatsink

Jun 22, 2019
I had a little bit of lag in the TV and reset my router as well as set my tv to game mode and it fixed my issues. Unfortunately i did both and not sure which had the most effect. Hope this helps!

Wolfenstein

Jun 22, 2019
The idea of being a fan or part of a fanbase is honestly upsetting to imagine. Enjoy things you like. Dont make it part of you.. jesus man its a shitty console

Gamer 1

Jun 16, 2019
I’m sorry my friend. I’ve been in those shoes during the Nintendo Switch launch. I preordered the moment it was announced and didn’t get it for a week because Best Buy gave away my order by accident. I know it sucks, but the wait will be over eventually.

Coatsink22

Jun 22, 2019
I agree however, the only game I played today that wasn’t 60 FPS was metro exodus. Metro is notorious for less than good optimization. I can’t fault google for that yet. If it doesn’t improve by February I’ll be less than thrilled.