Google Stadia's $10/Month "4K" option is streaming games rendered at 1080p

CoolStadia

Apr 23, 2019
From [Digital Foundry](https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-stadia-tech-review):

*"The cost of this performance level is pretty straightforward based on the comparison images above - resolution. Our time with Bungie's game on Stadia - played on the same connection during the same session as Shadow of the Tomb Raider - resulted in a 1080p experience scaled up for 4K output over the Chromecast Ultra. HDR is supported, the high frame-rate is very welcome and the experience is exceptionally good fun, but it's not quite what we expected from a system with this much graphics power - especially when you consider that the PC version of the game is one of the most well-tuned, well-executed ports of the generation.*

*The comparison images also hint at some reductions in the game's visual features too, which we'll be looking at more closely in due course, but fundamentally, the idea that Bungie chose to lock at 1080p resolution on a high-profile title like this raises questions. It's early days for Stadia development, of course, and we've no real notion yet of the challenges facing game-makers - but it's not really something we expected from a cutting-edge hardware configuration."*

Another example is Red Dead 2, which according to Digital Foundry is rendered at 1440p and locked to 30 FPS.

On top of this, the Stadia hardware is essentially a Vega 56 powered PC, meaning that once next gen consoles come out and hardware requirements become higher, this situation could get even worse. POWER OF THE CLOUD!

Google Stadia

Apr 22, 2019
Odyssey's graphics also looked it was set on low, maybe at best medium, the textures were quite low detail and or blurry.

Google Stadia

Apr 22, 2019
But you know for a fact that some people who aren’t even into this stuff will buy into it because they have no idea whether it is working as 4k60 or not.

Honestly though let’s see how well this sells and how long it lasts first... it’s a good idea on paper but the state of the internet in the US makes me think it won’t.

Gamer 1

Jun 16, 2019
getting high-end gaming PC quality with stadia were just naive

I wonder where they got that crazy idea?

Wolfenstein

Jun 22, 2019
This, imagine latency in single player game... and then extra layer of delay for anything in MP... just, NO.

Google Stadia

Apr 22, 2019
that "predict and render every possible player input" yet.

TFW you have enough processing power to predict the future but can't run more than 1080p.

Destiny

Jun 22, 2019
Why? Google can upgrade the Stadia servers any time they want.

Sure they could, but there is a picture of costs vs rewards to consider here. Now granted, if they can reuse those Vega 56 cards in other cloud products this isn't much of an issue but otherwise the cost hurdle might be a bit more limiting.

Gamer 1

Jun 16, 2019
Tbh I do wonder if they abandon Stadia that fast. Even if it runs in the red they can get a lot of useful product and tech out of it. Stadia can also be a big asset for Android and displays greater capabilities for applications on the Chromecast.

I doubt Stadia will stay in the long haul or if it does will probably devolve into being similar to the Play store filled with trash and smaller titles. Even if it fails I'm not convinced Google will completely screw consumers who have purchased games, or at least certain developers like Bungie will most likely right any wrongs.

Stadia is definitely an overall good thing for the industry in the long haul to push competition outside of GeForce Now. Hopefully the added bonus is ISPs recognizing consumer demands but that's a long shot.

Wolfenstein

Jun 22, 2019
I can't see a reason why anyone would choose Stadia over virtually any alternative.

Not many of us can. I spent a ton of time in product development, both engineering and product management (marketing) for big companies. People of all disciplines get tunnel vision when the innovation in question has the opportunity to be really profitable.

Everyone loves their "razors and blades" and "subscription models" and "business model innovation" so much that some people have forgotten that you have to kick ass on the whole "delighting the customer" thing to get people to take the risk on new products. Radical new stuff usually has to be loads better than the incumbent tech to get people to modify their habits, otherwise they'll just keep living their lives.

Valve did this exact same thing with the Steam Machines boondoggle. Yes, we all get why its great for Valve for us all to be locked into the Steam ecosystem forever, but it's not that great for me the consumer!

Jun 22, 2019
The biggest issue to me is the data usage. I could see people bypassing stuff like input lag and some compression, but once they see how much data that stadia eats up? I can’t imagine it will keep going.

Coatsink

Jun 22, 2019
People have differing requirements for what they consider a good experience not to mention some reviewers rarely give a bad score for anything.

stadiagames

Jun 16, 2019
Yes, you still have to "buy" the game. Except you don't own the game, you just use the license until Google revokes it for no reason or the service ceases to exist.