Google Stadia looks like shit

CoolStadia

Apr 23, 2019
So google stadia is “releasing” and basically it is missing core features that were promised including early adopter features. Only 1 exclusive game (lol) and really nothing to offer anyone. It’s a service for rich people who cannot afford a gaming PC. So basically this is a good service for about 7 people. The game lineup isn’t at all interesting. This is going down to the google graveyard.

Google Stadia

Apr 22, 2019
Also the people who can afford good internet have consoles or pc. The niche target is like 1 guy in sf who’s too hipster to buy a xbox

CoolStadia

Apr 23, 2019
requires expensive top of the line internet but is aimed at people who can't afford a PC or a console???

1. Just because you have good internet doesn't mean you can actually afford a PC. Good internet is a lot more important these days than a good PC.
2. Even if you can afford a good PC, so what? I can afford good internet and a good PC, but why the hell would I drop $2k on a gaming PC if stadia lets me avoid that and just keep using my 7 year old PC?

The real stupidity of stadia is the pricing model. You have to pay a $10 monthly fee *and* you have to buy the games *and* the game library is small. Any two of these factors would be fine, but all three is an awful combination. There's no way I'd buy any games on a platform where I have to pay a fixed fee just to have access to the stuff I bought, regardless of how much I'm actually using it (which likely won't be much, due to the small library).

It makes sense to pay for the platform itself, just as you would pay for a PC or a console, but it's idiotic to make it a monthly fee. Why not just make it a usage based fee? Ideally bandwidth-based, to make the price scale with the service costs.

Google Stadia

Apr 22, 2019
It's because Google's never looked outside of their own backyard when it came to planning things for the rest of the world.

I mean I have Google Fiber here where I moved recently, for $50 I'm getting a consistent and stable 100 Mbps, I was paying slightly more than that for 100 Mbps with Comcast last year and only getting about 12 Mbps on average back then.

I would guess they hope you go full circle with Google products like Apple users tend to do with the Apple ecosystem. Get that Google Fiber internet, than hook up Stadia to play games and shop Google and own Google Home Minis. Problem is Google has always been viewed as a hodge podge of random things that work together, everyone builds their own custom ecosystem that works for their own home.

Even with the fast internet, we have a Nintendo Switch and smartphones, Stadia doesn't fit our needs either.

Google's big business has always been advertising anyways, hardware just helps them keep the ad dollars rolling in.

Jun 22, 2019
I don’t get the market. For Netflix of gaming, there PlayStation now or xcloud. For casuals , there’s phoned. For hard core, there’s consoles n pc. There’s no adv for googles service. It isn’t even cheaper. The games on it are full priced and cheaper on steam

Bungie

Jun 22, 2019
Honestly who is this product designed for? People who can't afford PC or consoles but have 5G internet with the highest speed and no data cap? That just doesn't make sense. Especially in western countries where internet to make this work is overpriced as fuck. The people who can afford that type of internet or want that that type of internet probably are hardcore gamers or people who host a server at home or something.

I could see it working in Asian markets since their internet infrastructure is newer/faster/cheaper than Western countries but Asian video game industry is mainly dominated by f2p online games. I don't think there is any online game where input lag is acceptable, that is not even considering native server lag.

Like I just don't get what's benefit of cutting the cost of the hardware when it will increase the cost of your utility bill by a lot. Maybe 5g comes, reduces costs and makes ultra high speed internet more accessible but the 5g infrastructure is still behind in US.

Xbox is also going to make a cloud/live console which is cheaper...I do think the future it will be completely viable but the prices/logistics dont make sense for it right now.

Coatsink

Jun 22, 2019
They are ahead of the infrastructure ability right now. But an interesting YOLO by google

CoolStadia

Apr 23, 2019
Anyone who has played online games in the last 20 years or so knew streaming games would be a horrid idea. I mean when all your actions have to travel hundreds or even thousand if miles to some server, which then the server calculates that action, then sends the action back to your screen and so on...

Doesn’t take a PHD computer science nerd to tell you that cloud gaming is a terrible idea.

Oh and that’s doesn’t even factor in ISPs. Hundreds of ISP in the US alone all with different latencies. Terrible

stadiagames

Jun 16, 2019
They should have just made a steam competitor with the option of streaming games for a competitive edge of some kind.

Destiny

Jun 22, 2019
It's for people that doesn't have the time to game, but wants to game. I cant sit in my living room for hours because I'm either running a lot of errands or baby sitting.